Thursday, October 27, 2005

A comment on commenting

Commenting is appreciated. It's very easy. See the '0 Comments' in green type below each entry? (If I'm really, really lucky, it says '1 Comments.') It's a link to a page in which you can type anything your heart desires in response to the post. It doesn't even have to be related to the post. You could comment that "Cheez-its are delicious," or "I heard that the gene that allows one to roll his or her tongue is recessive. Why can so many people roll their tongues then?!"

So, once you read the post, click on the word Comments, and then type something clever into the big box. Then click on the dot by Other, not Blogger. You also supposed to put in a name, but that's entirely optional. You can of course just call yourself "Anonymous," or "Superman," or even "studluvr," and I won't mind! Now, there are probably really smart people who could figure out who commented by finding an IP address or some other technical stamp that people leave all over the web. I am not one of those people. If you want to be anonymous, don't worry. I won't snoop. I swear. I couldn't even if I wanted to. (And if you have no reason to be anonymous, you could even go so far as to call yourself "Mom.")

Oh, and there is also a place to put in your email address or a webpage or something. You don't have to do that. Just leave it blank. You can leave them all blank. It really doesn't matter.

But when you get to the end, there is a funky-looking string of letters that you have to type in. So here's the deal: if you don't make a real, live human being type the letters in that image, computers elsewhere can automatically create and post "comments" about buying a nice, new ocmputer from them, or seeing Kandy Kane's special holiday between-the-legs treat. Some blogs don't use this 'verification' system for posting. I have no idea how they stop spam. But I see the verification system as "Who cares?" so I use it. So you just have to type in the letters you see. That's all. Then you click Publish your comment, or Preview if you want to look at it before posting it, and viola! You have commented on my post. And this makes me very happy.

(It is worth noting that Mike and I argued over who would tell you how to do this.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so you like to see comments about your wonderful words of wisdom. Well what do you do when some makes a comment (see a few below), will you respond? Since you haven't yet, that tells me that you just like knowing that someelse read your blog.

Well here is my comment, for better or for worse!

Sabrina said...

:) I suppose to someone from the outside, this would seem like a rude, comment-grubbing post. (And I don't even know if you're someone from the outside. You could be my dear husband, but I doubt it.)

Here's the funny thing: only one person in the whole world reads our blog. I really only write it for myself and my husband, and my mother-in-law likes to peek in to see our random musings on life. I write it to entertain myself, him, and her. That entire post was to encourage her to comment, and the instructions were not tongue-in-cheek. She really wouldn't know how to comment, nor did she probably know before that commenting was possible. So it was like an inside joke, written solely for her.

Woe is me, she still hasn't commented.

But thanks, really, for stopping by! If you want to stop back every now and again, I'd be very pleased. But I won't hold my breath, as I know it's not all that interesting a blog.

Anonymous said...

To me it is the most interesting, insightful, crazy, emotional blog...

Woe is me!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey you two, So you thought I wouldn't know how to comment - well, you're wrong!! I'm getting very computer-savvy since I'm a school girl once again. Seriously, I love reading the blog - I check it at least every other day - it makes me feel closer in distance to you. Actually, when I read Mike's instructions on how to comment, I wasn't sure I would know how to. I'd ask my husband (Mike - your dad and Sabrina - your father-in-law) but I know he would have no clue on how to comment. So, I figured it out all by myself - Am i proud of myself or what!!!! You bet I am - I'll continue to comment, now that I know how. Talk to you soon - Love you, Mom

Mike said...

Well to set the record straight, Subby was the one who wrote the directions, not I!

Also I would like to say that commenting just commenting, it isn't email or email like, it is your thoughts and feelings about what is being sad at that exact moment it is being thought of. If that makes any sense I don't know.

Sabrina said...

Welcome to the party!

Mike said...

Get down on it..get down on it...I am glad those days are over!