Monday, October 10, 2005

Changes in living...

I just received an email from my best man, Ryan who asked, "what did you guys do this weekend?" After relaying the story of our weekend, he responded with his. Both lame, neither going out for anything but a meal and he wrote,

"Wow... are lives are pretty different from back in the day, huh?"

Wow, is right! We spent many hours together almost every weekend, drinking, eating, hanging out. Now we need to make plans to do something 2 weeks in advance and sometimes that doesn't even work out. In the past 2 months outside of family and co-workers, I have spent about 1 day with friends. I don't regret the missed opportunities because I have something bigger to look for, a baby!

I have come to realization that I am not a wild child like I was nor can I go back to being one, I am slowly turning into somewhat of a responsible adult. 6 months ago is was easy for me to have a few drinks a night (Sabrina would as well) and continue on with work, school, and life; remnants of college days, where drinking everyday was not a big deal. Now, my only cares and worries have transformed my previous life into wanting to take care of my wife and our investment. I no longer drink anywhere near as much as I used to (I can now make a 30 pack of beer last over a month and that is with the help of guests who come over.)

I also failed to realize (or wanted to ignore) how much alcohol played a role in our daily lives and how I am glad that it no longer plays the same role. It has changed and incredibly for the better. Now it really is nice to have a couple of drinks while watching a football game because it is actually relaxing, not stimulating as it used to be!

My point of all this rambling, is that my role life will never be the same as it used to be and that is a difficult concept to handle. My wife, our house, and our life is slowly becoming the prototypical "hard to leave home" scenario. If we have problems leaving home now, how will we do it when we have a baby in tow, most likely we won't...but, I hope we try...

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

We'll go out with a baby in tow! The real question is where can we afford to go?!

But like the Beatles said: You have to admit it's getting better! Getting better all the time....