Tuesday, February 21, 2006

0% effaced

We're not progressing here. I suppose we're not actually moving backwards, either, but my doctor said today that I'm not really 10% effaced, and I wasn't last week, and the doctor (his coworker in the same practice, mind you) was lying when he said that, and there's no such thing as 10% effaced, or even of being 50% or 75% effaced or anything like that because there's no way to know what size your cervix was at baseline. And he said, "We lie all the time. We just say that, but there's no such thing. 10% effaced means you're not effaced. You're either not effaced, or partially effaced, or totally effaced. And you are not effaced."

So I was spared the internal exam (I believe his exact words were, "There's no point in me checking you today, unless you really want a finger stuck up there.") And he also confirmed that the baby is super duper high in my uterus. Today was the first time it took a while for him to find a heartbeat, and I can honestly say that I think my own heart stopped while he was looking. I am still having panicky thoughts about the baby dying because its umbilical cord will get pinched, but I try to ignore these thoughts and instead focus on poking at its rump and talking to it until it wiggles to say hello (or winces away in pain; either way, it's okay with me.) Anyhow, he found the heartbeat, and it just showed us that the head is nowhere near my pelvic girdle, but it's floating happily above.

Damn you, baby! Go towards the light!!!

No comments: