Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Ten fingers and ten toes

I know you're just supposed to hope for a healthy baby, but I spend way too much time wishing for a cool baby.

But recently, I have been thinking more about just having a healthy baby--a baby without any terrible disease or delay. Is that greedy? Selfish? I wonder about the little person crawling around inside me, and I can't imagine it not having ten fingers and ten toes and a nice, normal face, and a head full of hair, and perfect little eyebrows and lips, and a cute little outie belly button and a smooth back with a perfectly fused spinal column. But what if it doesn't have all those things? I can live with an innie belly button. I suppose I could live with any of it. But it sure would be a shock, and I'm not sure how Mike and I would handle it.

I guess you take what you get and never, ever, ever forget to be thankful for it.

No comments: