Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Doh!

We bought a new chair. (Well, my grandmother bought us a new chair. It's on our card, but she wants to buy it for us.) I love my new chair.


It really is my chair. I would never call anything in our house mine, like "my refrigerator", or "my cats" or "my mess." (I will take credit for "my pantiliners" or "my mascara.") But this is my chair. Really, though, it's mine and baby's. It's understood that while a visitor may end up sitting in my chair, when baby wants the boobie, I get my chair. And Mike may even enjoy my chair to rock the baby to sleep sometimes, but it's still my chair. It's girly, unlike the rest of our furniture, and it's for me and baby to cuddle in, and eat in, and get food all over, and get crumbs in the cushions, and all that good stuff. From the moment I saw it in the Levin showroom (classy, eh?), it beckoned me. And Mike tried to make me check at Lazy Boy or Ethan Allen (what does he think? Money grows on trees?) first, but no, no no... I wanted my chair.

So we bought it. And attempted to bring it home. But...


Doh! The chair actually flew off the back of the pick-up truck in transit. It bounced off the highway a few times, and now has a nasty case of road rash. Can you believe it?! This is why my precious chair is still sitting in the basement, wrapped in plastic. What do we do?? We tried the warranty, but of course, it's not covered in transit. This is because cheap dumbasses like me who don't want to pay delivery charges tend to do things like let chairs fall off the backs of trucks. Perhaps I should have learned from this lesson that you always let the company deliver it. Then they're responsible. But, no, I will continue to prefer to pick up my own stuff, thankyouverymuch. I don't know why. I'm not even remotely mad about the chair, or about the $100 or $200 it could cost to fix it. The chair was a gift as it was, so who cares if we have to invest a little into it??

Really, I just want my chair all in one piece. I want to sit in it and rock in it and pretend I have our baby in my arms.

But we have two options: we can get it repaired so it's exactly as it was on the Levin's showroom floor, or we can patch it up and have a slipcover made for the back, like one of those headrags that protects the chair from oils and other gross stuff on people's heads. What do you think??

No comments: