Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Nursery near completion!!

Check it out! The night sky is finished. In hindsight, I think we didn't plan it extremely well. Okay, okay, I didn't plan it extremely well. Mike just made me tell him where to hammer in the stars. But I realized that we should have made it so that more bigger stars are near the bottom molding and more smaller stars are near the top molding, so that it would give it some perspective. You know, so the stars nearer the "horizon" looked bigger, and the ones further away looked smaller. But whatever.

Also, you'll notice that the crib is put together!!! Now we just need a mattress so I can put a sheet on it and pretend I already have the baby. I have been practicing lowering the side of the crib one-handed as quietly as possible. Mike thinks I'm crazy. My mom doesn't want me starting with this "quiet" nonsense. (Oh, so my mom and I actually agree on this: babies tolerate noise as much as you allow them, and they learn to require quiet as much as you allow them. That is, if you allow them sleep in the bustling activity of the day, they will, just as they have done for the last 9 months in utero. If you always put them to sleep in a darkened, quiet room, they will need that, and will lose the ability to sleep through noise. So I hope to have the baby passed out wherever we are, and I'll just toss it on a blanket on the floor or something when it falls asleep [at first I mean, of course, when it's still immobile]. But, I also can remember some older babies that I babysat who were just hellish to get to sleep. And once you get the cretin to sleep, the tiniest noise will disrupt the sleep, and then you have a horrible, horrible, horrible crying baby who doesn't want to go to sleep all over again. So I know someday, sometime, I will need to open the crib without disturbing the baby.)

Anyhow, Here's another full shot of the crib. The cats have left it alone, because as you can see, they would fall through the springs if they tried to get in. They are dumb cats, but they're not that dumb. So the sooner we get a mattress in there and scare the shit out of them (therefore keeping them from every trying to get in it again), the better. I read that you can put a bunch of mini blown-up balloons in the crib, and if they jump in and land in that mess, it'll really upset them. Mike prefers the duct-tape method, which is laying cardboard or something with backwards duct tape all over it in the crib, and once a cat lands on duct tape, they're adequately traumatized to not let it happen again. We'll see. Anyhow, isn't the crib just beautiful?? I am so thankful to my old boss for donating it to us. But it turns out that getting a dresser to go with the set is probably going to cost far more than a quality crib would cost. But, if we were buying our old crib and recycling our old bedroom furniture, we'd have very nasty cardboard quality KMart furniture in there, and this way will be higher quality. Oh, hell, why don't we just buy one more KMart dresser to go with this set?? Who cares if we have to throw it away in 2 years? It'll cost like $50, and the kid will be scribbling on furniture with crayons when I'm not looking by then anyhow!

Sigh. We'll see. Oh, and yes, the window desperately needs something. I'm not sure what yet, but it'll probably get a roller shade for room darkening, and then just a plain valence. Knowing me, it'll be a white valence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sabrina and Mike,
I actually commented on this when I first read it and saw the pictures but it never went through. So, I'll try again. The nursery looks beautiful. Dad and I can't wait to see it. We can't wait to see the house with furniture in it, as well. Most of all we can't wait to see the both of you. Hope all is going well. I'm home studying - I take my certification test on Friday - so think of me . Talk to you soon. Again, I love what you did with the room. And, you're right, all we need is your son or daughter. Love you both, Mom